Neighbors for more than 100 years!
Family Owned and Operated Business for more than 100 Years
has been a face in and around Norfolk County for more than 100
years. As mentioned in the Walpole Historic Book: "W.K.
Gilmore & sons was located at 1015 East Street". Willard
DeLue's 1924 The Story of Walpole reports the following:"The
business of W.K. Gilmore & Sons Inc., coal, grain, hay and
cement was founded by Mr. Gilmore in 1870 in Wrentham, Mass."
Walpole branch was purchased in 1890 from thr Gould Estate and incorporated
in October 1904. In 1911, a grain elevator was built at Walpole and
modern machinery was installed. All milling and mixing for the Franklin,
Norfolk, and Wrentham stores was done at Walpole. About 1,400 cars
were handled at Walpole and the various branches".
Inc. today is still a family owned and operated business. Located
in Walpole, MA
on Route 27 just outside of the center. Gilmore's was purchased from
the original Gilmore family in 1976 by the Verrochi Family. The Verrochi's
have been life-long residents of Walpole and Norfolk County. The present
owners are Ed and Evelyn Verrochi. Along with Ed and Evelyn the company
is also managed by their sons.
Gilmore's is still, 100 years later, selling coal, grain, hay and
cement. Plus, you will see, by visiting our site and our store, that
we sell many more products. Special
order items are always available, too!